Kielder Run Bike Run 2018 - Pre Race

Tomorrow is the start of the 2018 Kielder marathon weekend. For the fourth successive year that, for me, means it's time for the run bike run. Organised by Steve Cram's company "Events of the North", the weekend sees the run bike run and 10km on Saturday and the half and full marathons on the Sunday. All of the events are on the gravel path that circulates Europe's largest man made reservoir and the organisers claim the race the be "Britain's most Beautiful" and they probably aren't far wrong (provided you enjoy undulating paths, woodland and open water")

The route of the run bike run (not a duathlon because it's not the right distance) is the same as the marathon the next day only with a bit of cheating on the bike in the middle. So, after 3 previous races, and repeatedly telling myself "I'll train properly next time", how have I arrived for this one?

Race simulation training sessions, check!
Increased time on the bike, check!
Taper..erm.. does almost 2 weeks off running with a chesty cough count?
2 weeks out from race day I did parkrun while visiting my parents. I woke up, ignored the sore throat I hadn't had the night before and set off to parkrun. The route was a very twisty multi-terrain, muti-lap course with added turns around some downed trees. I enjoyed the run and didn't feel like I was giving it my all but still set my fastest ever time for parkrun (18.47). However, over the next few days the scratchy throat progressed and I felt my best chance to be fit for my race was to fully rest.

To add to my unease I haven't managed to make time to follow my usual routine. A week or so out from a race I have been focusing on I like to have a sports massage. What physical benefit it has I'm not sure, but it helps mentally for me to feel that I have done what I can to be ready and helps get me in the right mindset for the race. On top of that, my lack of time and good weather has prevented me from giving my bike a home service (in the garden, hence rain stops play). I generally keep my bike in good working order, and I have no reason to think otherwise but, like the sports massage, this is more about knowing that I've got everything covered before I toe the line.

I went out for a 3 mile run after work on Thursday and did a few strides afterwards. Testing the lungs and sharpening the legs was the plan. Lungs weren't too bad but I felt like I hadn't run for a month not a week and a half. Not the mental boost I was looking for.

I now stand on the eve of 26 miles of Lakeshore feeling like I'm not ready, trying to remind myself that I'm fitter, faster and better prepared than the previous 3 races. Time to focus on the good training sessions, the long rides and the fast 5ks or I'm having a bad race before I even put my shoes on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Had a Go at Running in Thailand

Surprise on Simonside

Nepal Impact Half Marathon